Monday, February 23, 2009

Style-watch Mondays: the Oscars!

While I was getting ready to write this post about the 2009 Oscar Awards Ceremony, I thought to myself, "nothing really stood out this year." Most dresses were bland and blended in the setting. And we go downhill as we move towards hair-styles. Where was the glamour? The glitz? Good or bad, at least give me something to talk about?? :)
As it turns out, many share my opinion. I googled "Oscars 2009 fashion" and ran across spanking fresh articles that portray it bluntly as...disappointing
Still, after watching the Awards Ceremony meticulously, I can name one dress in particular that stood out to me: Marisa Tomei's Versace dress.
 To be honest, I didn't even know who Marisa Tomei is until I saw this dress. :) 
Well, she played the single-mom stripper in The Wrestler and she was nominated in the Best Supporting Actress category for her performance (the Oscar, however, went to Penelope Cruz).  
Back to the dress now. The cut is really sophisticated and I love how the many creases (or folds) twist along in various directions, yet manage to come together and look seamless! Simply stunning! It makes me think of a twister, actually. Marisa's dress also embodies a very strong trend at this year's oscars: that fishtail you may have noticed on other dresses, such as Beyonce's (whose dress was terrible, by the way) and Vanessa Hudgens'. 
Marisa wore the white the best, in my opinion. (This is the best photo I could find of her dress, but the angle that would truly do her justice is exactly the opposite, where you could see all the fabulous twists!) Penelope Cruz's vintage Balmain was also a hit, but her hair ruined it for me. Sarah Jessica Parker wasn't bad in her Dior dress, but too bridal of a look. Angie looked good, but her look is getting really old: long locks, black dress--same old, same old. 

Anyway, this is all I've got. All that's worth mentioning. Almost everyone's hair disappointed me. I think simplicity is a great thing, but not at the Oscars...not when it comes to hair. It ended up translating into lazy, as far as I'm concerned. Either that, or...the recession has hit the stars, too, and they could no longer afford a hair-dresser. I could just see them twisting their locks in the bathroom with the hot iron. Yikes!

Best to end the note with Marisa Tomei's dress. After all, she wins my style-watch category for the week ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment